Trucker Country has been helping future truckers pass the official state CDL exams and get their commercial driver’s license since 2004. Our free CDL practice tests are now being used by more prospective commercial drivers and truck driving schools than any other site.
Going over your CDL manual at least once will get you started. But it can be tough to remember all the things you need to know to pass the official state tests. So we designed a unique 3 mode testing system. This system will have you knowing the material and passing the official exams without “normal” studying. Many test takers even say they have fun taking our tests! Look below for how to prepare step-by-step.
We Now Have 3 CDL Testing Modes to Help You Prepare to Pass Your Official DMV Exams!
1. Classic Mode (600 questions):
In our original Classic Mode, each test has multiple choice questions all on one page. This will quickly give you an idea where you stand and how much preparation you’re likely to need when you move on to Practice Mode.
2. Practice Mode (600 questions):
When you’re ready for more intense preparation, our Practice Mode tests give you instant correct answers after every question AND a CDL reference. This points you to the exact location in your official state CDL manual so you can immediately see for yourself where the question came from and reread that section if necessary. This further cements that information in your head. You’ll also know for sure that each test is accurate because it’s RIGHT THERE in your official state handbook and THAT’S what you’re tested on!
Take our practice tests together with the manual handy to help you learn each section. Open one window or tab for the manual and one for our practice tests, OR have an printed copy of the manual out for you to reference if needed.
3. Exam Mode (600 questions):
Each Exam Mode practice test is timed and you get your grade and results only after you’ve finished each test. This is very similar to the official state CDL written exams!
Our test questions and answers will thoroughly prepare you to Pass EACH U.S. State’s official DMV exams. To get a Class A, Class B, or a Class C CDL or CLP (Commercial Learner’s Permit), you must pass these tests. To use our 3 Testing Mode sytem as a CDL study guide, see How to Pass the Official State CDL Exams. Also see classes of licenses, and CDL endorsements. Truck driving schools across the country are now sending their students to our site to prepare for the official DMV permit tests. That’s because our new testing mode system makes our practice tests a complete CDL course – but without the big cost you’ll find with other online courses!
How to Pass the Official State CDL Exams – Step-by-Step
- Download your state CDL manual and open up it up in one tab of your browser. Read it over, but don’t try to memorize it and don’t stress out!
- In another tab, open up the first of our CDL practice tests in Classic Mode. Take note of how you did and don’t worry if you didn’t do so well.
- Take the same test in Practice Mode. After you answer each question, you’ll get the instant result along with the reference location in your CDL manual. Go to the CDL manual tab and look up the reference, especially if you didn’t get it right or know it instantly. Repeat the process with that test until you feel like you know it better.
- Take the same test in Exam mode. You won’t get the results until that test is complete. Passing grade for the official state exams is 80%. But repeat this test until you get 100%. If you’re having trouble, I suggest you go back and spend some time on Practice Mode before coming back to Exam Mode.
- Congratulate yourself on a job well done!
- Go to the next test and repeat steps 2 through 5.
- When you’ve done all the tests and you feel like you’re ready, it’s time to go to your local DMV/DPS with CDL services – find your state page here. See your CDL manual for office locations near you. You’re going to have to bring some important things like a valid Medical Examiner’s Certificate (DOT card) and all other necessary identification and documentation. See here for CDL requirements in your state, information about endorsements, and costs for licensing.
There are several excellent resources that we recommend that work together perfectly with our free CDL practice tests. This combination of using a guide with our practice tests will make it even easier for you to get the material in your head and pass your state exams.
Recommended CDL Books and Guides