Wyoming CDL Requirements

You must get an Wyoming commercial driver’s license (CDL) to be able to drive commercial vehicles in Wyoming. For Federal CDL Requirements applicable to every state, click here.

Wyoming adopted the Federal Commercial Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1986, and is part of a nationally uniform system of classifying, testing, and licensing commercial vehicle drivers.

When is an Wyoming CDL Required

You need an Wyoming CDL when you operate the following vehicles:

CLASS A – Applies only to “combination” vehicles with a Gross Combination Weight Rating (GCWR) more than 26,000 pounds, and the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of the vehicle being towed is more than 10,000 pounds. A driver with a Class A CDL (plus any appropriate endorsements) can also operate all vehicles included in Class B, C, and D (below)

CLASS B – Includes single or combination vehicles where the GVWR of the single vehicle is more than 26,000 pounds. The vehicle being pulled must not be more than 10,000 pounds. A driver with an Wyoming Class B CDL (plus appropriate endorsements) can also legally operate all vehicles in Class C or D.

CLASS C – Any single vehicle, or combination of vehicles, that meets neither the definition of Group A nor that of Group B as contained in this section, but that either is designed to transport 16 or more passengers including the driver, or is used in the transportation of materials found to be hazardous for the purposes of the Hazardous Materials Transportation Act and which require the motor vehicle to be placarded under the Hazardous Materials Regulations (49 CFR part 172, subpart F).

CLASS D – Private passenger, regular operator.

Wyoming CDL Age Requirements

You must be at least 18 years of age to drive within state lines (intrastate).

You must be at least 21 years old to:

  • drive commercial vehicles across state lines (interstate)
  • haul hazardous materials

How to Apply for an Wyoming CDL

To qualify/apply to obtain a Commercial Learners Permit (CLP):

This permit allows the operation of a commercial vehicle only when accompanied by a person who has a license valid for the type of vehicle driven and who occupies a seat beside the individual for the purpose of giving instruction in driving the commercial motor vehicle. CLPs are valid for a period of one year. Only one renewal may be granted within a two-year period.

Read here for more information from WY DOT about the CLP .

To obtain a Wyoming driver license a person must be of sufficient age, provide legal proof of identification and then pass a written knowledge test, a vision screening and a driving test. This is a list of the proof of identification the Wyoming DOT will accept:

  • Valid U.S. passport or state-certified birth certificate
  • Immigration documents
  • Proof of Social Security Number (W-2 form, IRS tax form, SSN card)
  • Proof of a name change is required if your name is different than what is on your documentation, such as a marriage certificate, divorce decree, court order, etc. You are also required to present two forms of proof of Wyoming residency, the following is a sample of what the Wyoming DOT will accept:
    • A current utility bill with your name and residential address on it
    • A current rental or lease agreement with your name and residential address on it
    • A Wyoming vehicle registration in your name and residential address on it.

Physical Required
A Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration physical is required when applying for a CDL unless exempted by FMCSA Part 391. For additional information, call the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration’s Wyoming office at (307) 772-2305. (Note: Any applicant for a CDL or CLP who has a medical or visual condition or whose visual acuity is worse than 20/40 in one eye, will be restricted to Intrastate driving only, unless presenting a DOT medical waiver card for that condition.)

Acceptable Legal Identification
First-time applicants must provide a state certified birth certificate and a state issued photo identification card/out-of-state driver license. A valid U.S. passport or immigration documents
with photo and signature are acceptable in lieu of a birth certificate. They must also be able to verify their Social Security number. Applicants for a commercial driver license must present
a Social Security card, W-2 form, or financial/banking statement to verify their Social Security number.

Get more information from Wyoming DMV about Getting a CDL or CLP.

Documentation Requirements

You will need to provide proper identification when you apply for your CDL. Some acceptable forms are:

  • Birth Certificate
  • Social Security Card (or proof of the number)
  • U.S. Passport
  • Birth Certificate
  • A Wyoming driver license
  • Other state’s driver license (if transferring from another state)
  • Military ID card

How much does the Wyoming CDL cost?

Commercial Driver’s License Fees

  • Original Wyoming License $25.00
  • Renewal $20.00
  • Class Change $20.00
  • Instruction Permit $20.00
  • CDL Skills Test (by appointment only) $40.00

More information about fees from the WY CDL Manual.

Official Wyoming CDL Manual
Wyoming DMV/DPS
FMSCA Guidelines