Minnesota CDL Requirements

You must get an Minnesota commercial driver’s license (CDL) to be able to drive commercial vehicles in Minnesota. For Federal CDL Requirements applicable to every state, click here.

Minnesota adopted the Federal Commercial Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1986, and is part of a nationally uniform system of classifying, testing, and licensing commercial vehicle drivers.

When is an Minnesota CDL Required

You need an Minnesota CDL when you operate the following vehicles:

CLASS A – Applies only to “combination” vehicles with a Gross Combination Weight Rating (GCWR) more than 26,000 pounds, and the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of the vehicle being towed is more than 10,000 pounds. A driver with a Class A CDL (plus any appropriate endorsements) can also operate all vehicles included in Class B, C, and D (below)

CLASS B – Includes single or combination vehicles where the GVWR of the single vehicle is more than 26,000 pounds. The vehicle being pulled must not be more than 10,000 pounds. A driver with an Minnesota Class B CDL (plus appropriate endorsements) can also legally operate all vehicles in Class C or D.

CLASS C – Any single vehicle, or combination of vehicles, that meets neither the definition of Group A nor that of Group B as contained in this section, but that either is designed to transport 16 or more passengers including the driver, or is used in the transportation of materials found to be hazardous for the purposes of the Hazardous Materials Transportation Act and which require the motor vehicle to be placarded under the Hazardous Materials Regulations (49 CFR part 172, subpart F).

CLASS D – Private passenger, regular operator.

Minnesota CDL Age Requirements

You must be at least 18 years of age to drive within state lines (intrastate).

You must be at least 21 years old to:

  • drive commercial vehicles across state lines (interstate)
  • haul hazardous materials

How to Apply for an Minnesota CDL

Documentation Requirements

See CDL Documentation and Identification Requirements (and other key forms) for Minnesota here.

To apply for a Minnesota driver’s license, identification card, or permit, you may present either:

  • A Minnesota driver’s license;
  • identification card;
  • permit that is current (or expired for five years or less if it has a photo or one year or less if it does not have a photo)

How much does the Minnesota CDL cost?

The fees are as follows:

Over 21:

  • Class A $45.25
  • Class B $37.25
  • Class C $30.25

Under 21 (Intrastate only):

  • Class A $25.25
  • Class B $37.25
  • Class C $30.25
  • Examination fee for each endorsement – $2.50
  • School bus physical processing fee – original and renewal application – $4
  • Motorcycle endorsement renewal fee – $13
  • Enhanced license fee (in addition to regular license fee) – $15
  • Duplicate license fee – $15.75
  • Retesting fee: Third and subsequent knowledge test (after failing first two) – $10
  • Retesting fee: Third and subsequent road/skills test (after failing first two) – $20
  • To add endorsements to an existing CDL, you must pass the appropriate tests and apply for a duplicate license. Adding school bus, passenger or motorcycle endorsement requires a road test in an appropriate vehicle. You have up to 30 days after becoming a Minnesota resident to obtain your CDL.

    Official Minnesota CDL Manual
    Minnesota DMV/DPS
    FMSCA Guidelines