Maine CDL Requirements

You must get an Maine commercial driver’s license (CDL) to be able to drive commercial vehicles in Maine. For Federal CDL Requirements applicable to every state, click here.

Maine adopted the Federal Commercial Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1986, and is part of a nationally uniform system of classifying, testing, and licensing commercial vehicle drivers.

When is an Maine CDL Required

You need an Maine CDL when you operate the following vehicles:

CLASS A – Applies only to “combination” vehicles with a Gross Combination Weight Rating (GCWR) more than 26,000 pounds, and the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of the vehicle being towed is more than 10,000 pounds. A driver with a Class A CDL (plus any appropriate endorsements) can also operate all vehicles included in Class B, C, and D (below)

CLASS B – Includes single or combination vehicles where the GVWR of the single vehicle is more than 26,000 pounds. The vehicle being pulled must not be more than 10,000 pounds. A driver with an Maine Class B CDL (plus appropriate endorsements) can also legally operate all vehicles in Class C or D.

CLASS C – Any single vehicle, or combination of vehicles, that meets neither the definition of Group A nor that of Group B as contained in this section, but that either is designed to transport 16 or more passengers including the driver, or is used in the transportation of materials found to be hazardous for the purposes of the Hazardous Materials Transportation Act and which require the motor vehicle to be placarded under the Hazardous Materials Regulations (49 CFR part 172, subpart F).

CLASS D – Private passenger, regular operator.

Maine CDL Age Requirements

You must be at least 16 years of age to drive within state lines (intrastate).

You must be at least 21 years old to:

  • drive commercial vehicles across state lines (interstate)
  • haul hazardous materials
  • operate a school bus

How to Apply for an Maine CDL

See CDL Documentation and Identification Requirements (and other key forms) for Maine here.

You must be either a United States citizen or lawful permanent resident to apply for a Commercial Learner’s Permit (CLP) or Commercial Driver’s License (CDL), per 49 CFR 383.71.

When you apply for a CLP or CDL you must present documents of identification proving your identity, lawful status, Social Security number, and Maine residency.

How much does the Maine CDL cost?

The fees are as follows:

  • CDL application – $35 (except Class A,B,C)
  • $10.00 fee for each endorsement
  • Class C Photo License Under Age 65 (6 year license) $30.00
  • Commercial Photo License Under Age 65 (effective October 1, 2003 5 year license) $34.00
  • Class C Photo License Age 65 or older (4 year license) $21.00
  • Commercial Photo License Age 65 or older (4 year license) $28.00

Official Maine CDL Manual
FMSCA Guidelines