New Hampshire CDL Requirements

You must get an New Hampshire commercial driver’s license (CDL) to be able to drive commercial vehicles in New Hampshire. For Federal CDL Requirements applicable to every state, click here.

New Hampshire adopted the Federal Commercial Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1986, and is part of a nationally uniform system of classifying, testing, and licensing commercial vehicle drivers.

When is an New Hampshire CDL Required

You need an New Hampshire CDL when you operate the following vehicles:

CLASS A – Applies only to “combination” vehicles with a Gross Combination Weight Rating (GCWR) more than 26,000 pounds, and the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of the vehicle being towed is more than 10,000 pounds. A driver with a Class A CDL (plus any appropriate endorsements) can also operate all vehicles included in Class B, C, and D (below)

CLASS B – Includes single or combination vehicles where the GVWR of the single vehicle is more than 26,000 pounds. The vehicle being pulled must not be more than 10,000 pounds. A driver with an New Hampshire Class B CDL (plus appropriate endorsements) can also legally operate all vehicles in Class C or D.

CLASS C – Any single vehicle, or combination of vehicles, that meets neither the definition of Group A nor that of Group B as contained in this section, but that either is designed to transport 16 or more passengers including the driver, or is used in the transportation of materials found to be hazardous for the purposes of the Hazardous Materials Transportation Act and which require the motor vehicle to be placarded under the Hazardous Materials Regulations (49 CFR part 172, subpart F).

CLASS D – Private passenger, regular operator.

New Hampshire CDL Age Requirements

You must be at least 18 years of age to drive within state lines (intrastate).

You must be at least 21 years old to:

  • drive commercial vehicles across state lines (interstate)
  • haul hazardous materials

You must have a valid CDL (commercial driver’s license) to legally drive a commercial motor vehicle on New Hampshire public roads and highways, unless you are in the process of learning as a student driver. A CDL student driver must be at least 18 years old and hold a valid operator’s license as well as a valid CDL permit. When driving on public roads in New Hampshire, a CDL student driver must always be accompanied by a person who is at least 25 years old and holds a valid commercial driver’s license for the class of vehicle being driven, including endorsements or restrictions

How to Apply for an New Hampshire CDL

Documentation Requirements

See CDL Documentation and Identification Requirements (and other key forms) for New Hampshire here.

First-time applicants are required to provide proof of identity (full legal name and date of birth), separate proof of Social Security number if one has been issued for you and two documents to prove your New Hampshire residential address.

How much does the New Hampshire CDL cost?

  • Class A: $60
  • Class B: $60
  • Class C: $60
  • CLP (Commercial License Permit: $20
  • Endorsements: $10

Official New Hampshire CDL Manual
New Hampshire DMV
FMSCA Guidelines