Trucker Country has been helping future truckers pass the official state CDL exams and get their commercial driver’s license since 2004. Our free CDL practice tests are now being used by more prospective commercial drivers and truck driving schools than any other site.
Going over your CDL manual at least once will get you started. But it can be tough to remember all the things you need to know to pass the official state tests. So we designed a unique 3 mode testing system. This system will have you knowing the material and passing the official exams without “normal” studying. Many test takers even say they have fun taking our tests! Look below for how to prepare step-by-step.
There are several excellent resources that we recommend that work together perfectly with our free CDL practice tests. This combination of using a guide with our practice tests will make it even easier for you to get the material in your head and pass your state exams.
Recommended CDL Books and Guides
Here are our 3 CDL Testing Modes:
- Classic mode. The original tests we’ve had at since ’04. Just click and answer for each question, and get your results at the bottom of the page.
- Practice mode. You receive instant results after each answered question. You get the correct answer along with the exact location of that answer in the CDL manual.
- Exam mode. Each test is timed just like the official state exams.
How to Pass the Official State CDL Exams – Step-by-Step
- Download your state CDL manual and open up it up in one tab of your browser. Read it over, but don’t try to memorize it and don’t stress out!
- In another tab, open up the first of our CDL practice tests in Classic Mode. Take note of how you did and don’t worry if you didn’t do so well.
- Take the same test in Practice Mode. After you answer each question, you’ll get the instant result along with the reference location in your CDL manual. Go to the CDL manual tab and look up the reference, especially if you didn’t get it right or know it instantly. Repeat the process with that test until you feel like you know it better.
- Take the same test in Exam mode. You won’t get the results until that test is complete. Passing grade for the official state exams is 80%. But repeat this test until you get 100%. If you’re having trouble, I suggest you go back and spend some time on Practice Mode before coming back to Exam Mode.
- Congratulate yourself on a job well done!
- Go to the next test and repeat steps 2 through 5.
- When you’ve done all the tests and you feel like you’re ready, it’s time to go to your local DMV/DPS with CDL services – find your state page here. See your CDL manual for office locations near you. You’re going to have to bring some important things like a valid Medical Examiner’s Certificate (DOT card) and all other necessary identification and documentation. See here for CDL requirements in your state, information about endorsements, and costs for licensing.